MEXICO TO AMERICA
In 1837 Antonio Osio was granted
ownership of most of the island by the Mexican governor of California.
His herders lived on the island as they watched over about 500 cattle.
After the 1846 war between United
States and Mexico, ownership was under dispute. During the American
Civil War, Angel Island became a "West Garrison" to prevent
any naval attacks. After the war the island became an infantry camp
for the U.S. military.