IMMIGRATION AND QUARANTINE STATION
In the 1890's Angel Island was used
as a quarantine station for immigrants. If ships had any diseased
passengers the entire ship would be fumigated with steam and sulfur
dioxide. Immigration Station, as Angel Island was called in the early
1900's, was mainly used as a detention center for Asians coming into
the United States. It was sometimes referred to as the Ellis Island
(in New York harbor) of the west.
During World War II in the early
1940's Angel Island was used as a prisoner of war processing center
for Germans and Japanese.