Fixing Tools and Tool Drive 

Murari Ganesan
Troop 273 , Fremont

The first Phase was the Tool Drive. The process used to conduct the Tool Drive was emails to the troop, my family and friends. I requested further circulation regarding tool donations amongst their friends and neighbors. I also appealed via forums like Fremont-Freecycle, ‘Nextdoor app’, Facebook Marketplace for any contributions.  Over a few weeks, I collected 15 shovels, 1 pitchfork, 1 pickaxe, 3 loppers, 5 brushes and long handled diggers and 26 other small implements for a total of more than 50 tools from the tool drive.

The next phase was to make a list of the status of the tools and wheelbarrows, to enable me to research the best practical repairs to complete on the tools. This was done by finding the right means to clean, de-rust, sharpen the blunt tools. I also made a list of missing bolts, broken and misshapen parts of tools, status of the wheels including how I can re-use tools from the recycle pile. 

The key was to be ready for anything, and to, as our motto says, be prepared for any and every kind of repair that may be needed. Once all the research was done and the supplies were bought, it was time to carry out the project. We started off by removing the rust from all the old tools from the tool drive, as well as any rusted tools that Tule ponds had. This was done through water-based gel that had to be applied to the tools. At the same time, other scouts were sharpening all the tools that didn't have rust so that they may better serve Tule Ponds. Once all the gel was applied, we worked on sanding off the rust from the wheelbarrows. The wheelbarrows were too large to use the gel to remove rust. So, we used sandpaper to get rid of the rust from the wheelbarrows. Then, we moved to determine what repairs were needed. One wheelbarrow needed a new wheel, so we worked to replace wheel. This involved salvaging an axle from a different broken wheelbarrow, and using it in the wheelbarrow in better condition. A different one needed some screws and bolts to hold the wheel in place. We did similar repairs to 4 wheelbarrows that now are in good condition and ready for use in Tule ponds. We then worked to hose off the gel from the rusted tools, so that we could then sharpen up the formerly rusted tools.



Once all the tools were sharpened up, we gave the wheelbarrows a new coat of rust resistant paint, finishing up the project. In total, we repaired or sharpened: 22 loppers, 7 saws, 1 hoe, 1 pickaxe, 2 spades, 27 hand saws, 4 stampers, 31 spades and shovels, 11 short spades, 1 pitchfork, 1 brush, 6 hand diggers, 3 prog diggers, and 4 wheelbarrows for a total 121 tools repaired or sharpened, surpassing my goal of 100 tools. The final part of my project was to find a metal recycler to take away the metal waste. This had me looking around for a metal recycler or scrap yard to take away the scrap metal from the tools we were unable to repair. It took a while to find someone to take the metal, and so we worked to organize the metal before the collection date  

A big thank you to Dr.Junutula, Mrs.Fry, Mr.Sidda and all the scout and adult volunteers in both shifts – Varun Yelluru, Vedant Yelluru, Mr.Shisha Yelluru, Atharva Nevasekar, Mr.Sandeep Nevasekar, Avni Madhu (Troop 220), Mr.Lokesh Madhu, Akshat Telkar, Anthony Pan, Aditya Vaswani, Mr.Rashmi Bhindra, Srithan Devarashetty, my family and friends.

[Tule Home]