TYPES OF MAPS
PROBLEM: How are topographic maps be used to find locations and features where you live?
Use the topographic map that your teacher gives you to answer the questions on the lab sheet.
MATERIALS: 7 1/2' quadrangle topographic map of local area, xerox copy of immediate school area
1. Orient your map by turning it so that the top is north.
2. Draw the following symbols: Click Here to view Legend
3. What is the name of your map?
4. What year was your map first published?
What year was your map revised?
5. What is the contour interval of your map?
6. Find your school on the map and circle it on a xerox
copy of the map. (If you do not have a copy follow your teachers
7. Find your home on the map and circle it on a xerox copy of the map.
8. Using a colored pencil trace the route from your house to your school on a copy of the map.
9. What is the distance from your house to school?
10. Find and name the two largest roadways:
11. What is the elevation of your school?
12. What is the elevation of your house?
13. Who publishes this type of topographic map?
14. Are there any mistakes on this map? If so, list them.