4 week unit
1. Students should know the water cycle.
2. Students should know why water is important to
3. Students should be able to distinguish between
fresh and salt water.
4. Students should know what lies
under the oceans.
5. Students should know that the
atmosphere is layered.
6. Students should begin to
understand air pollution.
7. Students should understand
there are many resources in the ocean.
8. Students should be able to compare densities of
9. Students should recognize there are many types
10. Students should be able to classify clouds.
11. Students should be able to distinguish basic
weather by looking at clouds.
OVERVIEW OF FIFTH GRADE
PRE: Analyzing why water is important.
LAB: Comparing the density of water to that of other liquids.
POST: Exploring how water is used in our society.
PRE: Distinguishing between fresh and salt water.
LAB: Exploring what lies under the oceans.
POST: Exploring estuarine systems.
PRE: Analyzing the composition of air.
LAB: Discovering that some components of air can be depleted.
POST: Distinguishing amongst different pollutants.
PRE: Comparing the different layers of the atmosphere.
LAB: Classifying clouds.
POST: Comparing an artist's interpretation of clouds.
to Water Cycle Grid]