4 week unit
1. Students should recognize several components of
2. Students should understand that stars create
light and planets reflect light.
3. Students should distinguish a star from a
4. Students should distinguish day and night.
5. Students should recognize that there is motion
throughout the Universe.
6. Students should recognize the terms rotates and
7. Students should distinguish north, south, east
8. Students should be able to read a compass.
9. Students should begin to locate geographic
areas on a map.
OVERVIEW OF FIRST GRADE
PRE: Describing the Universe.
LAB: Comparing and contrasting bodies that reflect light.
POST: Exploring the meaning of stars.
PRE: Differentiating between a star and a planet.
LAB: Discovering the surface of some planets.
POST: Comparing and contrasting the planets of our Solar System.
PRE: Comparing night and day.
LAB: Exploring rotation on the Earth's axis.
POST: Analyzing evidence that the Earth rotates.
PRE: Discovering a relief
LAB: Exploring with a compass.
POST: Comparing geographic locations.
to Universe Cycle Grid]