PROBLEM: Why do earthquakes cause damage?
MATERIALS: margarine tubs, teaspoons, oil, water, aluminum foil.
PROCEDURE: Fill the margarine tubs 1/2 full of water
- Gently tap the sides of the tub. What are you creating in the tub?
- Tap the sides a little harder. Does the pattern change? How?
- Float a flattened piece of foil in the tub. Tap gently. What happens?
- Tap a little harder on the outside. Does it still float?
- With the teaspoon, tap the water directly. Can you cause the foil to sink without touching the foil and without spilling any water?
- Take the foil out. Put 1 teaspoon of oil on the water. Tap the sides gently. What happens?
- Tap the sides a little harder. What happens?
- Fill in the blank letter in the sentence below.
WHEN THE STRESSES IN THE EARTH BREAK THE CRUST THEY SEND OUT W _ _ _ _.
What causes some of the damage during an earthquake?