Shelby, North Carolina
Washington Elementary School in Shelby, North Carolina is a demonstration site for the I. Science MaTe Program. Debbie Davidson, Vice President of the Math/Science Nucleus has worked with Washington for over 3 years. Her
inservices have provided the motivation and content to make an entire school immersed into science.
The Math and Science Immersion School philosophy is to help students reach their greatest potential through a customized curriculum that focuses on math, science, and technology. The Cleveland County Board of Education recognizes that any successful program requires dedicated individuals, adept at accepting and implementing change, who believe that all students can and will learn when provided the appropriate opportunities and stimuli. While the Math and Science School has a specialized focus, the goal of an overall basic program of academic excellence is equally important.
Contact Susan Beam, Science Director for more Information.
Features of Washington Elementary
- Elementary science and computer laboratories
- Mini-science and computer labs in every classroom.
- Western North Carolina Biological Sciences Curriculum Study (BSCS) project site.
- Southeastern demonstration site for Macintosh-Apple hardware networking Computer Curriculum Corporation (CCC) software.
- Study Center for thw Advancement of Math and Science
- Local engineers and scientists visit regularly to demonstrate the relevance of science.
- Operational greenhouse and gardens on campus.
- Wildflower garden, butterfly garden, and minipond on campus.
- Field trips to enrich each theme.
- Extensive schoolwide recycling/reusing program.
- Demonstration site for Math/Science Nucleus program.
- Classroom work enriched by resources such as Dicovery Place, Schiele Museum, and NASA.